As we move towards adulthood one of the thing that we aim for is driving a car or a bike. Having a car of our own and riding it in city feels like a great pride. Before you move toward it first thing that comes in the between is Law which says that you need to have a Driving licence which says that you are trustworthy driver. When you go for applying for a driving licence first step is to make your provisional driving licence, here we would be answering you question on how to get your first provisional driving licence? Before we begin with we would be making you aware about few basic things that you need to know before applying for a licence.
What is Provisional Driving licence?
Provisional licence is like permission that you need to get to drive on the road of UK. This licence gives you the permission but this does not mean that you can drive alone you need to be accompanied by someone who hold the permanent driving licence. Also this would be needed when you would apply for provisional driving licence and would go for giving your theory test, practical test, hazard Perception and you need to have this when you learn your first driving lesson.
Criteria for DVLA Provisional License
Before you go for driving licence application you need to fulfil some basic criteria below is check list:
- You need to be at least 15 years and 9 month old for applying.
- You eye should be sharp such that you can read a number plate from the distance of 20 meter.
- You can wear spectacles or contact lenses but these had to be worn every time you drive and you need to convey DVLA if you have any issue with your eyes. This doesn’t include being short or long sighted or colour blind.
- You need to provide a document that proves your identity unless you have valid UK biometric passport.
Few of the document that has to be original not photo copy or certified copy that can be provided for your identity while applying for provisional license.
- A current and valid passport or visa that proves that you have a permission to live in UK
- A biometric residence permit (BRP)- formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals
- A European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA)national identity card
- A travel document
- You need to provide an address where you have lived over the last 3 years.
- You need to pay £34 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card.
- If you have your National Insurance number then you need to have that.
Methods for applying UK Provisional License
Here are the two methods through which you can easily apply for the provisional license . The two methoda can be detailed as you can apply online or apply via post. Both the procedures of applying have been stated below in details.
1. Apply for Provisional Driving License UK
Now that you have fulfilled all the basic criteria you can go and apply for provisional online. Via this Link: https://motoring.direct.gov.uk/service/DvoConsumer.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=FAP&_nfls=false
- After clicking on this link you will be redirected to a page.
- Here as you are applying for the first time you need to click on Register.
- Then read the instruction carefully and click on next which will take you to the page where you need to fill you details.
- Fill all the details and click on next.
- Provide the details of your house as asked above and click on the next.
Similarly, you need to follow few more steps while applying for a provisional driving licence which would require the basic detail that you have collected earlier.
Firstly they will ask for your Security Detail that you need to provide them. Then they will ask for your National Insurance number if you have it. Provide the detail of your UK passport for your identity. Once you are done with filling of all the detail that is required you need to apply and then the summary of all the detail that you have entered will be shown on the screen you need to go through all the detail that you have filled and make sure you cross check these things. Finally they will ask for your card detail and then you need to click on submit. Once submission is done you will get your confirmation.
Apply for Provisional License UK via Post
If you don’t want to apply for provisional licence online or you can’t then the other way is to apply through post. First thing here you need to do is you need to complete D1 application form which you can download or get it from the post. Take note that this process takes 3 week to complete. You had to include all the original document that were discussed above in the basic list. With that you have to give coloured passport style photograph and had to pay a fee of £43 by cheque or postal order payable to DVLA (don’t send cash). Your whole application and payment need to be send to:
- DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD – if all your documents are from the UK
- DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AF – if any of your documents are from outside the UK
For below are the list of number where you contact of you have any query regarding the process when you apply for provisional driving license or any matter related to DVLA
|HELPLINE||UK CONTACT NUMBER||INTERNATIONAL NUMBER|
|DVLA contact number||0843 116 0011||+44 844 306 9203|
|Vehicle registration||0300 790 6802||+44 300 790 6802|
|Vehicle tax||0300 790 6802||+44 300 790 6802|
|Driver licensing enquiries||0300 790 6801||+44 300 790 6801|
|Drivers’ medical enquiries||0300 790 6806||+44 300 790 6806|
|Driver Check Service contact||09061 393 837||+44 9061 393 837|
|Ymholiadau Cymraeg||0300 790 6819||+44 300 790 6819|
|Vehicle registration and tax with translation||0906 737 0013||+44 906 737 0013|
|Theory test enquiry||0300 200 1188||+44 300 200 1188|
|Booking a theory test||0300 200 1122||+44 300 200 1122|
|DVSA driving test enquiries and booking||0300 200 1122||+44 300 200 1122|
|MOT, vehicle testing and approval||0300 123 9000||+44 300 123 9000|
|Driver CPC||0300 200 1122||+44 300 200 1122|
* Calls cost 7p per minute plus your telephone company’s network access charge.
These were the methods through which you can easily apply for the UK driving license, so if you have any query regarding the post or any methods of applying then you can leave a comment below with your query as we will reply to you at the earliest. So apply and get your first driving license.