Replace a lost or stolen Driving Licence

Replace Driving License: A driving license is an official document which permits an individual to operate vehicles on the highway or public road without any supervision. A driving license is issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and in Northern Ireland by the Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) administered in England, Scotland and Wales. The laws with reference to the licensing of drivers vary between jurisdictions. In some jurisdictions, a license is issued when the recipient has passed a driving test, whereas, in others, an individual acquires a license before setting out to drive. Completely different categories of a license usually exist for various types of motorcars, particularly large trucks and traveller vehicles. The problem of the driving test varies significantly between jurisdictions, as do factors such as age and the required level of practice. Here we are going to discuss how to replace stolen driving license

In the UK a modern photo driving licence is also used as an identity card in non-driving contexts, such as identity proof or age. However, there have been attempts to replace its use in this way with identity cards.

Replacing a lost, stolen or damaged driving licence

If your current driving license is stolen, damaged or lost, you should apply to the National Driver License Service for a replacement. The replacement driving license is a copy or duplicate of your original driving license. If there are any special provisions on your original license, for example, a requirement that you wear spectacles, or you drive an adapted vehicle, the replacement license will also show these provisions. The replacement driving licence will be valid for the same time period as your original.

replace driving license

Now the application process has changed and, when applying for a replacement driving licence, you have to visit one of the NDLS centres. In the face-to-face application process, your photo and your signature is captured digitally. You have to bring additional documents to confirm your identity. A new plastic card driving licence has been introduced, replacing the paper driving licence. This is an EU initiative to introduce a secure, compact style of licence in all member states. If your recent driving licence has been expired and is no longer valid, you can only apply for a new licence.

If you’re driving licence is lost while abroad, you have to apply in person at NDLS centre for a replacement. If you are living abroad and it is not possible to do this, you may be able to exchange your driving licence for a foreign driving licence. You will need a letter of entitlement from the NDLS.

To replace lost Driving License you can sort a replacement in 3 different ways: online, over the phone or by post. To make your application online, you will need to apply by using your Government Gateway ID. If you haven’t got one, or want to re-register, you will be given an ID as a part of your application process. If you find that your driving licence is stolen, you will need to contact the police

By completing the application online, you should find that the new photo card and paper counterpart will arrive within a week.

For replacement provisional driving license process, you will need to make sure that-

  • You are a resident of united kingdom
  • Not have any driving disqualifications
  • Be able to pay the £20 using a MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
  • Hold a valid UK passport or another form of identity
  • Also, you should give your driving licence number and National Insurance number

DVLA will use an electronic copy of your passport photo for your photo card driving licence if:

  • Your photo card licence is due to expire within 2 years
  • You have a valid UK passport
  • DVLA will tell you if a suitable electronic photo isn’t available. They’ll send you a form so you can give them a new photo.

You can make sure the photo on your licence is updated by using the photo driving licence renewal service.

If you find your old licence after getting a replacement, you have to return your old licence to DVLA. You will also need to include an explanation as to what has happened if you have requested or received a replacement.

You can also apply by post if you hold a paper driving licence. You will need to complete the same forms as you would for a photo card licence, D1 and D2, depending on the type of licence you hold.

Once you have done this, you will need to:

  • Include original documents that can confirm your identity
  • A passport-type photo
  • Your paper licence, if it has suffered damage

Then send all of these, along with your application to the address displayed in the form, as well as the appropriate fee (found on the form also)

Please note postal applications can take up to 3 weeks to be returned.

So this was all about that how you can replace driving license, whether it is stolen, damaged or destroyed. The process of driving license replacement is much simpler, you just need to follow the above steps.

All the Best.




Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.